Cost of Being Active

I've been fed by the church, ministers, Christian counselors and many others.  I've also been the one doing the feeding.  In my twenties and thirties, I led over 10 small group Bible studies, coached bible study leaders, spoke at men's conferences and was a church elder.  Then I thought a "short sabbatical" would be a good thing.  Well, the sabbatical lasted for years.  Yes, my family and I went to church on Sundays but only to be fed.  I was no longer engaged in the feeding process due to other "priorities" like running a company, going to dance recitals, equestrian events, talent shows, and watching my favorite TV shows like 24. Look, I still had time on my hands but excuses came easy when so much was happening.  When this occurs, your "circumstances" dictate your thoughts and actions.  You become reactive rather than proactive and life has no purpose.  Man, I was living in "Death Valley" and my Spirit's Flame began to diminish until a flicker was all that remained and it was close to being snubbed. God didn't love me any less for focusing on my selfish desires but did want me back in the game.  Inside, I was empty and my spiritual tank was dry.  I felt this way because a follower's journey isn't meant to cease regardless of your circumstances. Jesus said, "But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."  I needed to get back to the fundamentals.  Paul wrote in I Thessalonians 5:16-19, "Rejoice Always, Pray Continually, Give Thanks in All Circumstances; for this is God's Will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the Spirit's Fire."

This is why we need to remain ACTIVE regardless of where God chooses to take us. At times, following Jesus doesn't make sense.  In fact, it will seem crazy to some inactive believers and most non-believers.  Why?  because it contradicts the world's way of thinking.  It goes against the grain, requires ACTION. discipline and lots of passion.  It promises hard times, pain, suffering and persecution.  At times, I simply want to give up. But God knows this about me and regularly reminds me what the writer of Hebrews said, "You need to persevere so that when you have done the Will of God, you will receive what he has promised."  Winston Churchill simply said to the boys at Harrow School in October 29, 1941, "Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."


Christianity isn't a social "country club" gathering, listening to a sermon on Sunday then doing your own thing on Monday-Saturday.  These  isn't allowing Jesus to be the Lord of your life.  It's not believing the biblical saying of "God helps those who help themselves."  It's acknowledging the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and asking for guidance and direction everyday. Then using His Power (not mine) daily to ACT.  Look, I fall short daily but understand enough about myself that not getting up immediately causes a lapse in momentum and wasted opportunities. Mom said it best, "an idle mind is the devil's workshop." 

My first daily action is saying, "Good Morning Holy Spirit!" before my feet hit the floor.  Then I make a conscious effort to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.  Galatians 5:16 in the New Living Translation says, "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves."  I do this by getting in the Word and Praying. This is a practice done most days but I confess days go by without the Good Book being opened or my head bowing down. Guilt appears on most of the missed days but I "shrug it off." Missed days are now considered missed opportunities. Understand, God doesn't condemn; Satan does. God wants me to know Him and to have a fulfilling, productive and blessed life.  Praying and Bible reading provide opportunities to draw closer to Him.   

I also know my pursuit in life is not to be "Happy" but to "Seek God Daily" However, I do believe happiness is a bi-product of being an ACTIVE Christian.  Please note that God uses people willing and wanting to be used. God uses those willing to trust Him even if you're taken out of your comfort zone. God uses those who step in and CHOOSE (Free Will) to stay in the arena.  God uses those that fall hard but eventually get up and say, let's do this thing!  God uses those willing to be ACTIVE. 


President Teddy Roosevelt wrote, "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor death."

Father God, in Jesus' Name, let me adhere to your call on my life.  To rise from the sidelines and use Your Holy Spirit Power, Wisdom, God-Given Gifts and Life Experiences to help the homeless, poor, hurting, lost, uneducated, sick, hungry, addicted, depressed, fearful, lonely and others needing Your love.  Let me be an ACTIVE believer all the days of my life. 


Adios for now,


Comments