Plough Mud


In Charleston, inland salt water marshes are located near the coast. At high tide, the creeks within these marsh areas may reach 8’ in depth while only a trickle of water is visible at low tide. Both offer numerous learning opportunities and beauty so long as you stay in the creek center and avoid the banks. Unfortunately, most tourists and a good number of locals (who should know better) leave the creek center and head toward the banks to observe the beautiful marsh grasses knowingly or unknowing the dangers closer to shore. Any who, let me explain the offerings of a low tide. 

When the tide is low, walking on the tidal creek bed is generally safe. Typically, there is little or no water and the creek bed is firm in and near the center. At first glance, the low tide landscape appears desolate and empty but once you step off the floating dock currently resting on the sandy bottom and begin walking up the creek the views begin to change. The desolation and emptiness experienced moments ago fade away as I discover unexpected treasures unseen during that first glance. What was thought to be sedentary and meaningless come alive with every forward step. I discover interesting shells, armies of fiddler crabs, prehistoric shark teeth and healthy oyster beds. As my journey continues I observe Blue Herons and Snowy Egrets wading and feeding in the shallows while Sandpipers scamper about swallowing goodies crossing their paths. Look up and stare in awe as a Bald Eagle soars above observing the plentiful delicacies waiting below. My glare shifts as a Pelican glides gracefully above the salt marsh grasses. A squawk from a Heron draws my attention as it slowly rises from its stance and spreads its massive wings that carry it to its next destination. More treasures will be discovered as long as I look ahead and continue up the creek.  


However, curiosity changes my course and "lures" me toward the bank. The ground below softens and mud embraces my feet and ankles. This is what we in the Lowcountry call "plough” mud. Plough mud is located throughout our inland creeks where the beautiful, ever-changing marsh grasses dance in the wind. But don’t be deceived by the grasses beauty because the closer I get to capturing that "up-close and personal" view, the more I sink in the plough mud. Stand still and I sink farther. At this point, mud is up to my waste and it's very hard to pull myself out.  Since I've taken this journey alone, what was meant to a casual, peaceful expedition has tuned into a dangerous and challenging moment. Desperation, regret and pain arrive due to the inability to move and oyster shells cutting my legs. The surrounding beauty can no longer be enjoyed because I'm forced to focus on my present dilemma and battle with all my strength to break free from the mud and escape the dangerous and at times, deadly clutches of the bank. I pray. 


As I lift my head and open my eyes, walking on my dock are 3 of my closest friends.  They see the panic on my face and begin to run down the dock toward the creek.  Without hesitation, they step into the creek and quickly make their way toward me.  They embrace their elbows and one of them grabs my hand.  Slowly but surely my legs the suction releases me and I'm pulled away from the bank.  Next thing I know I'm in the center of the creek hanging on to my friends.  We all give thanks to God for their timely arrival and quick action.  The hard, sandy creek bottom has never felt so good. I glance at the bank and recall the desperate moments of the last few minutes but quickly put it behind me. I've learned.  I'm more grateful, alive, wiser, compassionate and anticipate with excitement my next journey and the new treasures that lie farther ahead. They’ll be revealed in due time but now the water begins its return to the creek. Soon the tide will rise and the scenery will change and high tide will bring it's own beauty and temptations.  But never will I forget or dismiss the lessons learned at low tide and the beauty that wasn’t initially seen. 


Since late 2010, I encountered many challenging events that caused physical, mental, emotional and financial stress.  I was deceived, cheated, wounded, betrayed and stripped of what I considered to be my retirement "security."  Toward certain individuals I carried extreme bitterness, rage, hatred and ill will on them and their families.  Focusing on anything else was nearly impossible. I isolated myself from friends and family and kept sinking deeper into the plough mud.  One day I was so low that I no longer wanted to fight.  Fortunately, I picked up the phone and asked a great friend for help.  With his help and that of so many others I slowly began to break free from the plough mud's grip.  It took awhile because I was in deep. But with the help of others, each tug made it easier and easier to lift my legs.  The wounds were deep but we slowly made it back to the center.  Gradually, by getting involved and serving in support and prayer groups, my dominant thoughts began to shift from what happened to me to how the time in the mud could be used to help those in need.  


I now see the beauty and understand why I experienced the low tide hardships.  The view has changed and my destiny is clearer.  My life is no longer about "striving" for the world's offerings but sharing the experiences of my life to offer hope to people.  I understand what matters most in this life and intend to share it with my friends, community and the world.  There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the light ignite in a person's eye when moments earlier were filled with darkness, hopelessness and sorrow.


So embrace and learn from the low tides in life and understand they happen for a reason.  That reason is to serve and share God's Love and what He has done in your life with the poor, hungry, homeless, brokenhearted, addicted,  prisoners, widows, orphans and people God places in your path. 

  
The Apostle Paul said this to the Philippians in chapter 3:12-14, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  

In Philippians chapter 4:8, Paul writes, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Don't hold on to your past and live the life described by Henry David Thoreau. “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” 


Adios for now,

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so glad I came upon your post just now. Normally I don't read stuff like this when people post them, but by chance I took a minute to read this. Thank you for writing it. I'm sorry to read about your difficult time, but the way you've handled it inspires me to do the same in my own life.