Mt. Massive - Alone and Alive Wilderness Adventure

Mt Massive - Alone and Alive Adventure

Mt Massive is the 2nd highest peak in Colorado & 3rd highest in the lower 48.On this day, I had it all to myself.

It was mid-week in late September. Nobody was on the trail. The mountain and valley belonged to me. The valley is full of treasures and in my opinion, one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in central Colorado. The sound of mountain streams was always present and in every direction, there was a new prize awaiting. My five senses were stirred and everything within me got lost in a wonderful daydream. Words outside of my vocabulary would be needed to properly describe the scenery, sounds, colors, serenity and vast wilderness that was mine for the moment. It was exhilarating and inspiring topped with a dash of "what the heck am I doing here all by my lonesome?" The answer; "it's who I am and will always be." "The Wild at Heart" guy wanting to be challenged and willing to take risks few others would consider. In other words, a guy choosing to live, not hang with the walking dead. Back to my story. While ingesting the delicacies surrounding me, the "official" trail to summit Massive was overlooked during one of many "awe" moments. When the trail ended at Half Creek lake, I took a double-take and then gathered myself. I thought, "how did I miss the trail?" Miles behind was the Massive Summit trailhead to the top. Now, it was decision time......move forward, stand still or turn around. I took a deep breath, looked up, and made my choice. I'm climbing this peak and not turning back until I've reached the summit. 

The summit of Massive was visible but no clear trails drew my attentionRegardless, I set out to conquer this bad boy and I'll be darned if missing the main trail was going to stop me from viewing Colorado from 14,421' above sea level. As the incline increased, I targeted a butte that had a ridge leading to another ridge northwest of the Mt Massive summit. My determination prevailed and focus intensified. Within 15' of reaching the top of the butte, rocks begin to slide with nearly every step. I grasped the boulder just below my destination and concluded, "rock climbing gear and ropes would have come in handy." But this "expert" climber was right with God so the journey continued. Finally, stud/stupid reached the ridge.  It was approximately 20' wide with steep drop-offs of 80-100' on both sides. viewed the summit and kept my eyes peeledLogic said, "Don't look down; look ahead." concurred. After 6 1/2 hours of walking, climbing, sliding, gripping and photographing, the pinnacle of this awesome mountain had a new visitorMassive's summit was smaller than expected but nonetheless impressive. This was quite the accomplishment. At first, photos were snapped in all directions then it was time to embrace my surroundings. Mt Elbert was to my south and the town of Leadville to the northeast. The 360-degree view of the Rockies was magnificent. I thanked The Almighty for His gift while storing the experience in my memory box that could be opened at any given time. A calm reverence enveloped me and my spirit acknowledged, "it's just you and God enjoying His masterpiece called the Rocky Mountains." sat quietly for 45 minutes cherishing the view and talking to God. Then a heavy breeze kicked up and common sense told me it was time to go.
 
My descent proved to be more challenging than the ascent. With no trail to follow, I chose a slope that appeared to be less steep than several others. As I descended the rocks began to slide. I created my own switchbacks but I my rear met the ground on numerous occasions. So to go with the flow, I sat on my rear and embraced the slide. MBanana Republic jeans became "Holy" but no injuries occurred. The valley was finally reached and my hand duster worked diligently on my jeans, shirt, and hat. I meandered through lush green, marshy, unspoiled land next to an icy cold creek which probably flowed swiftly during the spring melt. The sun was getting tired and thankfully, the trail that led me back to the trailhead was spotted. The late afternoon beams touching the valley's shadows created a sparkling beauty that needed to be remembered through photography. Unfortunately for the photo album, I was too flipping tired to lift my camera. The last leg of my journey proved to encapsulate what had been an extraordinary day. Time had reinvented the landscape. The colors, views, and sounds had changed. 

What was initially meant to take 7-8 hours ended up being an 11 hour "off trail" adventure. Plus, blazing my own trail bumped the level of difficulty from a 2+ to a 3++. All in all, this great adventure created memories that will last a lifetime. If prompted, I'd do it again. However, I DO NOT recommend taking unnecessary risks. Unless of course, you have an adventurous spirit and your name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life.  

Adios for now.







Comments