The Encounter




Living and learning to gain new territory requires me to put God first, walk in the Spirit, admit my character flaws, count my blessings, serve others, turn bad habits into good ones, increase my faith, overcome my fear, confess my sins, forgive ALL, and remain teachable and humble. Easier said than done!  In fact, it can't be done unless the Holy Spirit is prevalent in my daily, hourly, minute by minute walk.

Well, gaining new territory last Saturday was challenging. At the time, I was out in the field with my manager and better yet; it was my first day on the job after extensive training.  We're calling on leads and it happens.  I run into someone (herein known as "encountered one") from my past.  I believed I had forgiven "encountered one" long ago but upon seeing "encountered one" my heart sank and the anger and bitterness returned immediately.  "Encountered One" had been my CFO at a former company and a voice of reason and understanding.  I firmly believed "encountered one" could be trusted and would always be honest with me.  On numerous occasions, "encountered one" informed me my partners were unethical and using company money to enhance their business ventures.  "Encountered One" went on to say what they were doing was just "Wrong."  I knew they had "borrowed" from the company's line of credit to invest in other ventures but believed it would be returned.  However, no records were kept and never was I included in the meetings with those receiving the "borrowed" company funds.  I was so naïve. 


Around the same time, I discovered a branch manager in another state embezzled over $250,000 from the company in a 3 year period.  My partners were made aware of the matter but chose to override my decision to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. They gave no reason for their decision.  "Encountered One" couldn't understand why they would refuse to prosecute a branch manager that had stolen over $265,000.  I couldn't either except that she had been their branch manager in their previous company for 8 years.  I questioned their ethics and morals and decided to fire her anyway.  Furthermore, I contacted a law firm in the state and discussed the circumstances and evidence.  We had a case but I held off on moving forward because my partners did not want to prosecute.  Why? "It would cost too much money." 

Regardless, as the CEO, I failed by not doing the right thing. The due diligence had been done and this illegal behavior didn't require shareholder approval.  It simply required calling the police department and having her arrested for embezzlement.  Unfortunately, the call wasn't made.  

Moving forward, tensions grew and I was forced out of the company. "Encountered One" couldn't believe what had happened and went on to call the most vocal partner, "the Spawn of Satan" due to his company-related behavior. However, once my car left the parking lot for the last time "encountered one" quickly became best buddies with the partner formerly known as "the Spawn of Satan."    

So here I am face to face with "encountered one" wanting to kick her teeth through the back of her head but knowing my left leg was out of reach.  Yes, those ill feelings I had confessed and released resurfaced in an instant.  I knew this was a test that had to be overcome. See, I was no longer her boss, the CEO.  My new role was much more humble and could see she relished the moment.  Me, I felt awkward and really wanted to say a number of words not listed in the dictionary. The moment came across as Evil mocking Good. In reality, it was God exposing my pride and unforgiveness still clinging to me since 2011.  I simply hadn't let ALL the past hurts and betrayals go and God was giving  me a clear reminder. 

I cut the conversation short with "encountered one" and got into the car with my new boss and drove away.  My game face was on but inside I was thinking of what had just occurred.  Soon after I arrived at my home and told my wife about the "encounter."  At first, those old, dark memories jumped onto her but clarity from the Holy Spirit won out.  God said in my Spirit, "There's work for you to do but you must forgive ALL, let your past go and allow Me to be the Judge."  I confessed my unforgiveness, anger, pride and ego and prayed for "encountered one" right then.  On Sunday, prior to taking communion, I took the "encountered" incident to the cross and prayed for "encountered one's" spiritual life and future.  It wasn't easy but necessary. 

God composed the "encounter" and I thank the Lord Jesus for placing me there at the perfect time.  I want to be used and that requires giving up everything that holds me back.  Housecleaning isn't fun and very difficult at times but the cleansing brings relief and frees up space once occupied by junk.  Once the junk was gone, I refilled those voids with treasures of "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. These treasures increased my territory and made me better prepared for what's to come. 

Adios for now



 . 
 

Comments