Success!



As years speed by, I better understand that trials will always present themselves and how I handle them will determine my destiny.  Sure, I've heard how trials make me stronger but when I'm in the midst it seems I'm getter weaker. And since I'm a slow learner, the pain of experiencing what I considered a crushing defeat and huge setback lingered longer than necessary.  Lesson: To be highly successful in life I needed to understand that every trial is a growth opportunity; not a setback.  This principle has penetrated my head and heart and my attitude and habits have changed. Strength comes from adversity and overcoming my failures eventually led to success. Bruce Lee said, “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." Bruce Lee knew overcoming obstacles made him stronger. James 1:2-5 says, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  WHAT?

So I ask myself, "what is the true meaning of success?" As a Christ follower, it's clear that success can never be measured by money.  Friends have said to me, "she's loaded!(wealthy)" OK, she's loaded, but it doesn't prove she's successful. In some cases, it means the opposite. If Mother Teresa, considered a great success by billions, confessed to having a Swiss bank account balance of 5 million, I'd view her as a hypocrite and she would be defined as a fraud rather than than a saint. 

The best definition of success I've heard is this: the measurement of success is simply the ratio of talents used to talents received. What you are doing with what you've got, plus who you are becoming. Whether you work in business, the ministry, or as a day laborer, professional, or academic, if you are a maturing Christian using a large percentage of your talents, you are successful. Be glad."

During my life, I've been blessed to live on crumbs and in luxury.  Both offer different challenges but I gained wisdom from both.  The challenge is being content in either situation.  You see, it's a test.  I chose to persevere during times of lack instead of cave.  Sure I had many tough moments but decided to "get over it."  Life happens!  Things improved but I had to stay positive and expect the tide to change.  Staying positive requires effort.  Everything matters.  I would wake up and say it's going to be a great day.  Thank the Lord for my blessings and ask Him to lead me and help me get out of the way.  I had to read scripture, positive books, listen to positive music and associate with uplifting people rather than those that speak the language called "negative." Furthermore, if you do nothing you'll become negative by default.

On the flip-side, don't get a big head when you're driving your BMW 750 and pulling into the driveway of your 5000 square foot house on the water.  Yeah it was nice but the challenges remained.  Instead of worrying about paying my bills it was how can I keep and/or increase my net worth.

The key is learning to be content in all circumstances and to be joyful always.  The Apostle Paul discussed a thorn in his side that never went away.  I choose to believe it was something he constantly had to overcome by trusting God regardless of his circumstances.  He learned to be content with lots or little.  He learned to be the same person everyday and believed God could be trusted to handle whatever trials he encountered.  I will strive to do the same.

As a believer, my identity comes from how God views me not by what I have. And I'm thankful His grace is sufficient and being bitter about your past or worried about your future equates to another wasted day.  Live today and life will be fulfilling and you'll be successful.

Adios for now,

Comments